Wednesday, July 22, 2015

My First Juice

I wanted to make sure I documented everything....so for the record, I weighed myself this morning and came in at 133.  Ok, so now that that's out of the way, let me tell you about my first juicing experience from last night.  This juicing was just practice and experimentation.  I will begin my actual juice "fast" next Monday (7.27.15).  scary!

So I started with washing my new machine's plastic pieces, dried them, and then put it all together (it was SUPER DUPER easy!).  I then gathered up my ingredients and washed them.




I used:

  • 4 celery stalks
  • 6 kale leaves
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 3 apples
  • about 1 1/4" sized pc of ginger root
  • 1 lemon


The "juicing it" part was awesome and fun!  This machine juiced each item in seconds, with no hesitation.  For the first juicing I wanted to try everything whole, although I did cut the lemon in half.  The only ingredient that I had to use any pressure for was the apples, so I will probably quarter those next time. You can remove leaves, peel, core and cut....but completely not necessary.  Except when you use oranges.  I read that you should never juice the peels of an orange, as it leaves a very unpleasant flavor in your drink.


This is how the juicer looked after juicing.  You can see the pulp attached to the inside of the container.
 I also ended up using too much produce.  I should have only used 2 apples, not 3.  And only one cucumber, not two.  I will also only use 1/2 lemon next time.  The flavor of lemon was just a tad strong for my taste and so was the ginger.  But the machine squeezes an amazing amount of juice out!  Should've paid a little more attention to the pitcher filling up.....kinda had a little accident.  oops!



But....live and learn!  I'll do better next time.....I will!

And this is how the pulp "catcher" looked.....along with how it looked when I pulled the bag out.  Made clean up that much easier.  In fact, the only part of the machine that took some time to clean was the filter.  I probably spent at least 10 minutes cleaning it with the handy dandy scrub brush that was enclosed for that purpose.  Oh, and it's always a good idea to clean your machine pieces immediately after juicing.  Don't let it set in and dry onto anything....especially the filter!


There was enough juice for my husband to have seconds, even though a lot of it leaked onto the counter!  He actually LOVED the juice!
For me, the flavor wasn't bad at all.  And the drink was, to my surprise, completely filling!  This was our dinner last night.  With a little tweaking to the recipe to better suit my taste buds, I know I can make a juice that I can call delicious.  Or at the very least, "almost" delicious.  

cheers!

The next "practice" drink will be tomorrow.  So keep an eye out for my post!

No comments:

Post a Comment